For more trusted health
news and information,
visit CBS Sacramento's
SACRAMENTO (CBS13) – Officials with the California Department of Public Health are again urging consumers to avoid eating a popular line of licorice candy products that may contain levels of lead exceeding state standards after the manufacturer expanded a previous recall.
The manufacturer of Red Vines® Black Licorice Twists, Family Mix, Mixed Bites and Snaps added the following products to its August 22 recall:
- Black Licorice Bar, 2.5 oz.
- Jumbo Black Licorice Hanging Bag, 8 oz.
- Black Licorice Tray, 5 oz.
- Black Licorice Laydown Bag, 7 oz.
- Black Licorice Laydown Bag, 16 oz.
- Black Licorice Jar, 4 lbs.
- Mixed Bites Hanging Bag, 8 oz.
- Mixed Bites Bag, 16 oz.
- Family Mix Laydown Bag, 24 oz.
- Family Mix Laydown Bag, 32 oz.
- Snaps Hanging Bag, 5.5 oz.
- Snaps Theater Box, 4.5 oz.
- Snaps Tin, 12 oz.
The recall does not affect Red Vines® Sugar Free Black Licorice and Red Flavor Licorice products.
Red Vines® Black Licorice candy products are manufactured and distributed by American Licorice Co., Union City, California. CDPH is currently working with the manufacturer to ensure that the contaminated candies are removed from the marketplace.
American Licorice Company expanded its earlier recall after additional testing of black licorice products determined that recently produced products could also contain elevated levels of lead.
Consumers who find this candy for sale should call the CDPH Complaint Hotline at (800) 495-3232.