1 Dead, 1 Critical In Crash Following Stockton Police Pursuit
Don't Miss This
- CHP Officers, Teacher Help Santa Deliver Presents To Boy Who Didn’t Get Visit Last Year
- Lawyer Allegedly Caught During Sexual Encounter With Jailed Inmate Fires Back
- Man Allegedly Sets Himself And Wife On Fire In Stockton
- Davis Teen Gets 52 Years To Life In Brutal Slaying Of Elderly Couple In Their Beds
- Caltrans May Pick Up The Tab For Your Car’s Pothole Damage
STOCKTON (CBS13) – One person is dead and another in critical condition after crashing following a pursuit by Stockton Police early Sunday morning.
The Stockton Police Department says officers attempted to make a traffic stop just before 12:30 am on Sunday near El Dorado Street and the Crosstown Freeway after spotting a 1999 Gold Chevy Malibu driving at a high rate of speed.
However, the driver did not stop and instead took off leading officers on a two-minute high-speed chase on northbound Interstate 5. Officers say they stopped chasing the vehicle when it exited Interstate 5 at Country Club Boulevard.
But the Chevy Malibu continued on and seconds later slammed into a pole near the intersection of Plymouth Road and Briston Avenue.
The 53-year-old male driver was pronounced dead at the scene. A male passengers was taken by helicopter to a Modesto Hospital in critical condition.
The names of the victims have not been released.
The California Highway Patrol, San Joaquin County Sheriff’s Office, and San Joaquin County District Attorney’s Office along with the Stockton Police Department are investigating the crash.