1 Dead, 1 Critical In Crash Following Stockton Police Pursuit
Don't Miss This
- More Than 100 American Laser Skincare Closures Leave Customers Without Thousands Of Dollars
- Rancho Cordova Neighborhood Watch Started With A Facebook Group
- Sacramento Gun Stores Gearing Up For Black Friday Sales Surge
- Call Kurtis: Smart & Stupid Black Friday Buys
- Logic Behind Ferguson Grand Jury’s Decision Not To Indict Police Officer May Remain Mystery
STOCKTON (CBS13) – One person is dead and another in critical condition after crashing following a pursuit by Stockton Police early Sunday morning.
The Stockton Police Department says officers attempted to make a traffic stop just before 12:30 am on Sunday near El Dorado Street and the Crosstown Freeway after spotting a 1999 Gold Chevy Malibu driving at a high rate of speed.
However, the driver did not stop and instead took off leading officers on a two-minute high-speed chase on northbound Interstate 5. Officers say they stopped chasing the vehicle when it exited Interstate 5 at Country Club Boulevard.
But the Chevy Malibu continued on and seconds later slammed into a pole near the intersection of Plymouth Road and Briston Avenue.
The 53-year-old male driver was pronounced dead at the scene. A male passengers was taken by helicopter to a Modesto Hospital in critical condition.
The names of the victims have not been released.
The California Highway Patrol, San Joaquin County Sheriff’s Office, and San Joaquin County District Attorney’s Office along with the Stockton Police Department are investigating the crash.