1 Dead, 1 Critical In Crash Following Stockton Police Pursuit
Don't Miss This
- Starting Tuesday, California Law Requires Drivers To Give Cyclists 3 Feet Of Space On Road
- Missing Christian Brothers High School Volleyball Coach Found Alive In Oregon
- Police Detain ‘Django Unchained’ Actress In LA
- Researchers Say Sacramento’s Bad Roads Are Bad For Business
- Mountain Lion Linked To Southern California Boy’s Attack Killed By Wildlife Officials
Get Breaking News First
STOCKTON (CBS13) – One person is dead and another in critical condition after crashing following a pursuit by Stockton Police early Sunday morning.
The Stockton Police Department says officers attempted to make a traffic stop just before 12:30 am on Sunday near El Dorado Street and the Crosstown Freeway after spotting a 1999 Gold Chevy Malibu driving at a high rate of speed.
However, the driver did not stop and instead took off leading officers on a two-minute high-speed chase on northbound Interstate 5. Officers say they stopped chasing the vehicle when it exited Interstate 5 at Country Club Boulevard.
But the Chevy Malibu continued on and seconds later slammed into a pole near the intersection of Plymouth Road and Briston Avenue.
The 53-year-old male driver was pronounced dead at the scene. A male passengers was taken by helicopter to a Modesto Hospital in critical condition.
The names of the victims have not been released.
The California Highway Patrol, San Joaquin County Sheriff’s Office, and San Joaquin County District Attorney’s Office along with the Stockton Police Department are investigating the crash.