1 Dead, 1 Critical In Crash Following Stockton Police Pursuit
Don't Miss This
- ICE: Local Authorities Have Denied 8,800 Federal Immigration Hold Requests This Year
- Modesto Wants To Crack Down On Residents Parking Cars On Lawns
- Republican Lawmakers Call For Travel Ban From West Africa Amid Ebola Fears
- Taryn Manning Of ‘Orange Is the New Black’ To Headline Grave Digger’s Ball
- Is Former Sacramento Real-Estate Mogul Once Accused Of Secret Recording At It Again?
Get Breaking News First
STOCKTON (CBS13) – One person is dead and another in critical condition after crashing following a pursuit by Stockton Police early Sunday morning.
The Stockton Police Department says officers attempted to make a traffic stop just before 12:30 am on Sunday near El Dorado Street and the Crosstown Freeway after spotting a 1999 Gold Chevy Malibu driving at a high rate of speed.
However, the driver did not stop and instead took off leading officers on a two-minute high-speed chase on northbound Interstate 5. Officers say they stopped chasing the vehicle when it exited Interstate 5 at Country Club Boulevard.
But the Chevy Malibu continued on and seconds later slammed into a pole near the intersection of Plymouth Road and Briston Avenue.
The 53-year-old male driver was pronounced dead at the scene. A male passengers was taken by helicopter to a Modesto Hospital in critical condition.
The names of the victims have not been released.
The California Highway Patrol, San Joaquin County Sheriff’s Office, and San Joaquin County District Attorney’s Office along with the Stockton Police Department are investigating the crash.