UPDATE: Power Restored To Thousands Of SMUD Customers
Don't Miss This
- More Than 100 American Laser Skincare Closures Leave Customers Without Thousands Of Dollars
- Rancho Cordova Neighborhood Watch Started With A Facebook Group
- Sacramento Gun Stores Gearing Up For Black Friday Sales Surge
- Call Kurtis: Smart & Stupid Black Friday Buys
- Logic Behind Ferguson Grand Jury’s Decision Not To Indict Police Officer May Remain Mystery
NATOMAS (CBS13) – Thousands of SMUD customers were temporarily without power Wednesday afternoon an explosion at its Natomas power station apparently caused by mylar balloon hitting a transformer.
There were two outages in Rio Linda totaling 13,908 customers. Several other outages were reported in the Natomas area, totaling several thousand customers. Natomas High School was one of the locations without power.
In all, about 30,000 customers were without power for a little over an hour, according to SMUD.
Transformers were being worked on at the SMUD power station in the Natomas area at Striker Avenue and National Street after a mylar balloon apparently hit one and caused the outage.
Businesses across the street from the station say they heard a loud explosion right before the power went out and that the ground shook.