UPDATE: Power Restored To Thousands Of SMUD Customers
Don't Miss This
- ICE: Local Authorities Have Denied 8,800 Federal Immigration Hold Requests This Year
- Modesto Wants To Crack Down On Residents Parking Cars On Lawns
- Republican Lawmakers Call For Travel Ban From West Africa Amid Ebola Fears
- Taryn Manning Of ‘Orange Is the New Black’ To Headline Grave Digger’s Ball
- Is Former Sacramento Real-Estate Mogul Once Accused Of Secret Recording At It Again?
Get Breaking News First
NATOMAS (CBS13) – Thousands of SMUD customers were temporarily without power Wednesday afternoon an explosion at its Natomas power station apparently caused by mylar balloon hitting a transformer.
There were two outages in Rio Linda totaling 13,908 customers. Several other outages were reported in the Natomas area, totaling several thousand customers. Natomas High School was one of the locations without power.
In all, about 30,000 customers were without power for a little over an hour, according to SMUD.
Transformers were being worked on at the SMUD power station in the Natomas area at Striker Avenue and National Street after a mylar balloon apparently hit one and caused the outage.
Businesses across the street from the station say they heard a loud explosion right before the power went out and that the ground shook.