Walmart Opens 5 New ‘Neighborhood Markets’ In Region
Don't Miss This
- Man Rescued From Abandoned Mother Lode Mine
- Man Gets 3-Year Jail Sentence For Torturing Puppy In Front Of Daughter
- Mom, Daughter Record Bear’s Romp Through Auburn Cemetery
- Is This You? Gas Station Surveillance Video Reveals Stockton’s Latest Lottery Millionaire
- California Bans State Agencies From Selling Or Displaying Items With Confederate Flag
Get Breaking News First
SACRAMENTO (CBS13) – Five new Walmart stores opened their doors early Wednesday morning in and around the Sacramento area, bringing in hundreds of jobs.
But these are not the huge Walmart megastores we are used to seeing. Walmart calls them “Neighborhood Markets.”
Walmart describes them like grocery stores that offer gift-wrapping stations and even hardware items. Each store also includes a pharmacy and photo area. They’re about a third of the size of the Walmart supercenters.
The new stores are located at:
• 2700 Marconi Ave., Sacramento
• 1421 Coffee Road, Modesto
• 1189 E. March Lane, Stockton
• 255 G St., Lincoln
• 4080 Douglas Blvd., Granite Bay
“We see a need for communities that are underserved in grocery and also needing job creation and some economic vitality returned to commercial centers that had a vacant anchor tenant for many years,” said Walmart spokeswoman Delia Garcia.
The Marconi Avenue location is bringing customers back into the Taylor shopping center after anchor store Goore’s baby and children’s store left years ago.
All five of the stores that opened Wednesday run 24 hours. Neighborhood market stores in Elk Grove and Carmichael are slated to open later this year.
They’re looking to open at least four more in Northern California by 2013.