Walmart Opens 5 New ‘Neighborhood Markets’ In Region
Don't Miss This
- ICE: Local Authorities Have Denied 8,800 Federal Immigration Hold Requests This Year
- Modesto Wants To Crack Down On Residents Parking Cars On Lawns
- Republican Lawmakers Call For Travel Ban From West Africa Amid Ebola Fears
- Taryn Manning Of ‘Orange Is the New Black’ To Headline Grave Digger’s Ball
- Is Former Sacramento Real-Estate Mogul Once Accused Of Secret Recording At It Again?
Get Breaking News First
SACRAMENTO (CBS13) – Five new Walmart stores opened their doors early Wednesday morning in and around the Sacramento area, bringing in hundreds of jobs.
But these are not the huge Walmart megastores we are used to seeing. Walmart calls them “Neighborhood Markets.”
Walmart describes them like grocery stores that offer gift-wrapping stations and even hardware items. Each store also includes a pharmacy and photo area. They’re about a third of the size of the Walmart supercenters.
The new stores are located at:
• 2700 Marconi Ave., Sacramento
• 1421 Coffee Road, Modesto
• 1189 E. March Lane, Stockton
• 255 G St., Lincoln
• 4080 Douglas Blvd., Granite Bay
“We see a need for communities that are underserved in grocery and also needing job creation and some economic vitality returned to commercial centers that had a vacant anchor tenant for many years,” said Walmart spokeswoman Delia Garcia.
The Marconi Avenue location is bringing customers back into the Taylor shopping center after anchor store Goore’s baby and children’s store left years ago.
All five of the stores that opened Wednesday run 24 hours. Neighborhood market stores in Elk Grove and Carmichael are slated to open later this year.
They’re looking to open at least four more in Northern California by 2013.