UPDATE: Man Detained Is Not Modesto Park Assault Suspect
Don't Miss This
- Man Rescued From Abandoned Mother Lode Mine
- Man Gets 3-Year Jail Sentence For Torturing Puppy In Front Of Daughter
- Mom, Daughter Record Bear’s Romp Through Auburn Cemetery
- Is This You? Gas Station Surveillance Video Reveals Stockton’s Latest Lottery Millionaire
- California Bans State Agencies From Selling Or Displaying Items With Confederate Flag
Get Breaking News First
MODESTO (CBS13) – Modesto police said the man they detained on Wednesday after a large search operation is not the suspect in a park sexual assault last week after the man ran from officers when he was confronted on Wednesday morning.
Officers made contact with the man near H Street and Second Street and he took off. Police then went door to door in the area and a sheriff’s helicopter flew overhead.
Two K-9 units were also used as officers went from yard to yard. He was eventually found hiding in a basement.
The man was described as black, wearing a black jacket and blue jersey, and police said he fit the description of the park assault suspect.
After detaining him, they determined he wasn’t the man who approached a woman Thursday at Mancini Park, threw her to the ground and sexually assaulted her in front of her two young children.
Because of its close proximity to the search area, Modesto High School went on voluntary lockdown during Wednesday’s search.
The suspect had an unrelated no-bail warrant and was taken into custody.