UPDATE: Man Detained Is Not Modesto Park Assault Suspect
Don't Miss This
- 49ers Fan Who Bought Game Ticket Online Receives Pricey Parking Pass
- Man Faces Jail Time Or $4,000 Fine For Not Watering Lawn
- Thieves Ransack Rio Linda Airman’s Home While He Was Deployed Overseas
- Fresno Man Who Killed Co-Worker, Cut Out Heart, Released From Prison Over Governor’s Objection
- Jackson Teen Leading Rally Against Washington Redskins’ Name At San Francisco 49ers Game
MODESTO (CBS13) – Modesto police said the man they detained on Wednesday after a large search operation is not the suspect in a park sexual assault last week after the man ran from officers when he was confronted on Wednesday morning.
Officers made contact with the man near H Street and Second Street and he took off. Police then went door to door in the area and a sheriff’s helicopter flew overhead.
Two K-9 units were also used as officers went from yard to yard. He was eventually found hiding in a basement.
The man was described as black, wearing a black jacket and blue jersey, and police said he fit the description of the park assault suspect.
After detaining him, they determined he wasn’t the man who approached a woman Thursday at Mancini Park, threw her to the ground and sexually assaulted her in front of her two young children.
Because of its close proximity to the search area, Modesto High School went on voluntary lockdown during Wednesday’s search.
The suspect had an unrelated no-bail warrant and was taken into custody.