Baby Critically Injured, Uncle Charged With Abuse
Don't Miss This
- Jury Convicts Man Of Killing Ex-Girlfriend In Winters
- Apple CEO Tim Cook Publicly Acknowledges He’s Gay
- Terminally Ill Woman May Postpone Taking Her Life
- Turlock Designer’s Idea Puts Quick, Complex Games In Your Pocket
- How Did Luis Enrique Monroy-Bracamonte Hide In United States Illegally Until Deputy Killings?
Get Breaking News First
SACRAMENTO (CBS13) – A 5-month-old baby is in critical condition and the infant’s uncle is accused of hurting the boy.
The Sacramento Police Department arrested Wendell Taghap, 36, on Thursday and he was booked into the Sacramento County Jail for cruelty to a child under circumstances likely to produce great bodily harm or death.
The baby’s mother returned home to an apartment on Truxel Road in Natomas on Wednesday and her baby appeared to be napping, but when she later checked on him, he was unresponsive, police said.
He was taken to a local hospital Wednesday night and officers responded to a report by medical personnel of possible child abuse.
Because to the suspicious nature of the injuries, homicide detectives and crime scene investigators were called.
Based on the medical examination and treatment, a previous report of possible neglect or abuse, and statements obtained during the investigation, detectives determined that Taghap was responsible for injuring the child, police said.
Taghap is being held on $1 million bail. He’s scheduled to be in court Monday. An update on the baby’s condition wasn’t available Friday.