Sacramento Zoo Loses Josie The Chimpanzee To Old Age
Don't Miss This
- ICE: Local Authorities Have Denied 8,800 Federal Immigration Hold Requests This Year
- Modesto Wants To Crack Down On Residents Parking Cars On Lawns
- Republican Lawmakers Call For Travel Ban From West Africa Amid Ebola Fears
- Taryn Manning Of ‘Orange Is the New Black’ To Headline Grave Digger’s Ball
- Is Former Sacramento Real-Estate Mogul Once Accused Of Secret Recording At It Again?
Get Breaking News First
SACRAMENTO (CBS13) – A long time resident of the Sacramento Zoo has died.
Josie the chimpanzee was the matriarch of the zoo’s chimps at age 48.
She was being treated for age-related illnesses but was not improving.
Zoo veterinarians made the decision to put her to sleep.
“Chimps are not that different from humans and so they will take time to grieve and understand this over the next few weeks or so,” said Harrison Edell, General Curator of the Sacramento Zoo.
Josie was the 10th oldest female chimpanzee in the United States.
Donations in Josie’s memory can be made by calling (916) 808-8815. All donations will go towards the care of the other chimpanzees at the Sacramento Zoo.