Sacramento Zoo Loses Josie The Chimpanzee To Old Age
Don't Miss This
- Lawyer Allegedly Caught During Sexual Encounter With Jailed Inmate Fires Back
- Man Allegedly Sets Himself And Wife On Fire In Stockton
- Davis Teen Gets 52 Years To Life In Brutal Slaying Of Elderly Couple In Their Beds
- Caltrans May Pick Up The Tab For Your Car’s Pothole Damage
- Folsom District’s Response To Seventh-Grader’s Suicide Drawing Heavy Scrutiny
SACRAMENTO (CBS13) – A long time resident of the Sacramento Zoo has died.
Josie the chimpanzee was the matriarch of the zoo’s chimps at age 48.
She was being treated for age-related illnesses but was not improving.
Zoo veterinarians made the decision to put her to sleep.
“Chimps are not that different from humans and so they will take time to grieve and understand this over the next few weeks or so,” said Harrison Edell, General Curator of the Sacramento Zoo.
Josie was the 10th oldest female chimpanzee in the United States.
Donations in Josie’s memory can be made by calling (916) 808-8815. All donations will go towards the care of the other chimpanzees at the Sacramento Zoo.