Sacramento Zoo Loses Josie The Chimpanzee To Old Age
Don't Miss This
- Woman Walking With 2-Year-Old Son Hit, Killed By Man Driving Drunk
- Citrus Heights Gaming Hall Actually Slashes Crime In Surrounding Area
- Starting Tuesday, California Law Requires Drivers To Give Cyclists 3 Feet Of Space On Road
- Missing Christian Brothers High School Volleyball Coach Found Alive In Oregon
- Police Detain ‘Django Unchained’ Actress In LA
Get Breaking News First
SACRAMENTO (CBS13) – A long time resident of the Sacramento Zoo has died.
Josie the chimpanzee was the matriarch of the zoo’s chimps at age 48.
She was being treated for age-related illnesses but was not improving.
Zoo veterinarians made the decision to put her to sleep.
“Chimps are not that different from humans and so they will take time to grieve and understand this over the next few weeks or so,” said Harrison Edell, General Curator of the Sacramento Zoo.
Josie was the 10th oldest female chimpanzee in the United States.
Donations in Josie’s memory can be made by calling (916) 808-8815. All donations will go towards the care of the other chimpanzees at the Sacramento Zoo.