Sacramento Zoo Loses Josie The Chimpanzee To Old Age
Don't Miss This
- Man Rescued From Abandoned Mother Lode Mine
- Man Gets 3-Year Jail Sentence For Torturing Puppy In Front Of Daughter
- Mom, Daughter Record Bear’s Romp Through Auburn Cemetery
- Is This You? Gas Station Surveillance Video Reveals Stockton’s Latest Lottery Millionaire
- California Bans State Agencies From Selling Or Displaying Items With Confederate Flag
Get Breaking News First
SACRAMENTO (CBS13) – A long time resident of the Sacramento Zoo has died.
Josie the chimpanzee was the matriarch of the zoo’s chimps at age 48.
She was being treated for age-related illnesses but was not improving.
Zoo veterinarians made the decision to put her to sleep.
“Chimps are not that different from humans and so they will take time to grieve and understand this over the next few weeks or so,” said Harrison Edell, General Curator of the Sacramento Zoo.
Josie was the 10th oldest female chimpanzee in the United States.
Donations in Josie’s memory can be made by calling (916) 808-8815. All donations will go towards the care of the other chimpanzees at the Sacramento Zoo.