Sacramento Zoo Loses Josie The Chimpanzee To Old Age
Don't Miss This
- Roseville Woman Run Over By Own SUV, Dies
- U-Haul Crashes Into Citrus Heights Home, Hitting Baby’s Room
- Davis Police MRAP Just One Of Hundreds Of Items Acquired From Military Surplus In Yolo County
- East Porterville Residents Without Water As Wells Go Dry During California Drought
- Police: California Plane Stowaway Arrested At Phoenix Airport
Get Breaking News First
SACRAMENTO (CBS13) – A long time resident of the Sacramento Zoo has died.
Josie the chimpanzee was the matriarch of the zoo’s chimps at age 48.
She was being treated for age-related illnesses but was not improving.
Zoo veterinarians made the decision to put her to sleep.
“Chimps are not that different from humans and so they will take time to grieve and understand this over the next few weeks or so,” said Harrison Edell, General Curator of the Sacramento Zoo.
Josie was the 10th oldest female chimpanzee in the United States.
Donations in Josie’s memory can be made by calling (916) 808-8815. All donations will go towards the care of the other chimpanzees at the Sacramento Zoo.