Lodi Family Loses Everything In House Fire
Don't Miss This
- ICE: Local Authorities Have Denied 8,800 Federal Immigration Hold Requests This Year
- Modesto Wants To Crack Down On Residents Parking Cars On Lawns
- Republican Lawmakers Call For Travel Ban From West Africa Amid Ebola Fears
- Taryn Manning Of ‘Orange Is the New Black’ To Headline Grave Digger’s Ball
- Is Former Sacramento Real-Estate Mogul Once Accused Of Secret Recording At It Again?
Get Breaking News First
LODI (CBS13) – A young family in Lodi with a new member on the way is working to rebuild after a fire destroyed almost everything they owned.
“I don’t know if you can see what’s left of the house; but pretty bad shape,” Joanna Ruis said. “Nothing we can save.”
Joanna, her husband, Juan, and 5-year-old son Ryan are left with little more than the clothing on their backs.
“I appreciate what everyone’s doing for us. You too, right?” she asked Ryan.
“Yep,” he said.
They were celebrating at a birthday party Saturday night with no idea their Lodi home had caught fire until neighbors called.
To make matters worse, the Ruiz’s don’t have insurance.
“We only have a few pieces of clothes that were worth saving,” she said. “Other than that we have nothing at all but ourselves.”
They have a bucket and water to clean the soot off plates and pictures, but Joanna said most of it is headed for the trash.
Joanna is also expecting.
“I have to see the doctor next week to check on how things are going with the baby.”
A baby is on the way and right now her family doesn’t even have furniture, much less a home. They’re staying with Juan’s sister for now. Relatives have donated what they can to try to help this family start over.
“It’s sad during this time, you know Thanksgiving is coming. But it’s going to be fine,” Joanna said as she started to break down. “So, if anyone can help out there, I appreciate it.”