Three Arrested In Modesto For Fraudulently Soliciting Money For Baby’s Funeral
Don't Miss This
- Kings Rally Late, Win Vegas Summer Title
- 40-Year-Old Mom With Two Kids Becomes NFL Cheerleader
- Raw: Driver Records Cellphone Video Of Stockton Shootout
- Get Ready For More Delays As Interstate 80 Project Will Close Lanes Starting Saturday
- Video: Family, Friends Mourn Death Of Woman Taken Hostage By Bank Robbery Suspects
Get Breaking News First
MODESTO (CBS13) – Three people soliciting donations for what they said was a baby’s funeral were arrested in Modesto on Tuesday after police determined they made up the story.
Police observed Mark Barajas, 35, at the intersection of Sisk Road and Briggsmore Avenue holding up a poster-sized sign with a picture of a baby and caption that read” Funeral donations.”
Janie Barajas, 26, and Lisa Barajas were holding similar signs nearby at Briggsmore and Prescott.
According to police, The three at first told officers the baby died in Mexico but officers later learned the story was fabricated and that the three had come from Fresno to Modesto to collect the money under false pretense.
Further investigation revealed the three had printed the pictures of the infant from the Internet and they had been in Modesto Monday and Tuesday soliciting money from motorists, police said. Additional posters depicting a picture of a toddler were located in the suspects’ vehicle.
The three had collected about $400.00 in cash Tuesday, police said.
All three were arrested for defrauding the public and conspiracy and were booked into the Stanislaus County Jail.