Prominent Sacramento Businessman Mort Friedman Dies At 80
Don't Miss This
- Stockton School District Possibly Selling $2 Million In Unused School Buses
- Strong, This New Member Of Stockton Schools Police Force Is
- After Bed Bug Complaints, Lodi Theater Closed Until Thursday To Eliminate ‘Insect’ Problem
- Alleged Bed Bug Infestation Temporarily Shutters Lodi Movie Theater
- Emerging Solar Plants Are Igniting Birds Mid-Air
Get Breaking News First
CARMICHAEL (CBS13) – Prominent Sacramento businessman Morton Friedman died Wednesday after battling a brain disease. The well-known lawyer and philanthropist was 80 years old.
Friedman represented plaintiffs in the 1972 Farrell’s disaster when a plane crashed into the ice cream parlor, killing 22.
He’s also well known for redeveloping Arden Fair Mall and bringing the first Nordstrom store to Sacramento.
“For more than five decades Mort was a giant in Sacramento, a man whose contributions to our community forever changed its landscape and its spirit,” Congressman Doris Matsui said in a statement. “He was also a devoted husband to his wife Marcy, a dedicated father to his three sons, and a fierce friend to all of us who were lucky enough to carry that title.”
Matsui noted Friedman’s contributions to the Crocker Art Museum, the UC Davis MIND Institute, the Sacramento Symphony and other local organizations and and his steadfast support for Sacramento’s Institute for Advancing Unity made Sacramento “a better place to live.”
Friedman, who earned business and law degrees from Stanford, is survived by his wife of 57 years, Marcy, and three sons. He and his wife made their home in Carmichael. They moved to the area in 1957.
Funeral services will be held at 11 a.m. Friday in the Friedman-Lichter Sanctuary at Mosaic Law Congregation, 2300 Sierra Boulevard, Sacramento.
In lieu of flowers, the family suggests contributions to the following organizations:
- The Shalom School, 2320 Sierra Boulevard; Sacramento, CA 95825
- The Mosaic Law Congregation, 2300 Sierra Boulevard; Sacramento, CA 95825
- The Crocker Art Museum, 216 O Street; Sacramento, CA 95814