Firefighters Save Dog And Turtle From Burning Rio Linda Home

RIO LINDA (CBS13) – A Rio Linda family lost all their belongings in a house fire early Thursday morning, but firefighters were able to save the family’s pets: at turtle and a dog.

The fire broke out at a home in the 7100 block of 8th Street in Rio Linda around 7 a.m. Thursday.

When firefighters arrived to the home, they made the discovery right there on the back porch.

Jack, a 3-year-old dog, was trapped in the flames.

“A fireman went in the backyard and got the dog,” homeowner Mike Presz said.

But while fighting the fire, they also stumbled upon Myrtle the turtle, a red-neck slider, inside the burning house.

“When we were standing over here and we seen them bring them out, we was glad because I am an animal person and I was extremely glad,” neighbor John Silver said.

Presz got the call about the fire at work. As he rushed home, he could only hope and pray that Myrtle and Jack would be saved.

“It’s a relief, if there can be one you know, it’s a relief,” he said. “Our personal possessions and whatnot is gone. That’s, I guess that’s what insurance is for. But the animals and the family is fine.”

Neighbors told CBS13 that a power surge off a transformer caused the fire. Sac Metro said they’re still investigating.

“It’s just tragic, it is” Silver said. “To see one your neighbors, I really don’t know how to put it.”

Sac Metro Fire says the estimated damage to the house is around $200,000.

More from Sean Bennett

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Sacramento

Get Our App
Get The CBS Sacramento Weather AppGet the latest radar, CBS13 AppCasts and hour-by-hour forecasts. You can also send your weather pics.

Listen Live