Body Of Man Missing Near Mare Island Found
Don't Miss This
- Women Respond To Ice Bucket Challenge By Raising Money For California Town With Dry Wells
- Stockton Man Pleads For Return Of Dog Stolen From His Car
- Sketch Released Of Suspect Wanted For 2 Stabbings Near Downtown Sacramento
- Roseville Woman Run Over By Own SUV, Dies
- U-Haul Crashes Into Citrus Heights Home, Hitting Baby’s Room
Get Breaking News First
VALLEJO, Calif. (AP) — The body of a missing 77-year-old man believed to have fallen into the waters off Mare Island has washed ashore.
Police say a hiker came across Philip Mattingly’s body at the Point Pinole Regional Shoreline park in Richmond on Sunday. He was positively identified at the Contra Costa County Coroner’s Office.
An autopsy determined the cause of death to be drowning. Vallejo police say there were no signs of foul play.
Mattingly, a retired mechanical engineer, had been helping clean debris from a World War II warship docked on Mare Island when his son reported him missing on Dec. 9. Authorities deployed dive teams and patrol boats, but were unable to locate Mattingly.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.