California Releases Draft Fracking Regulations
Don't Miss This
- Kings Rally Late, Win Vegas Summer Title
- 40-Year-Old Mom With Two Kids Becomes NFL Cheerleader
- Raw: Driver Records Cellphone Video Of Stockton Shootout
- Get Ready For More Delays As Interstate 80 Project Will Close Lanes Starting Saturday
- Video: Family, Friends Mourn Death Of Woman Taken Hostage By Bank Robbery Suspects
Get Breaking News First
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — After decades of oil drilling, California has released draft regulations for hydraulic fracturing, or fracking.
The proposed rules were posted online Tuesday by the state’s oil regulators. California currently oversees oil well construction but it has not required disclosure of fracking practices.
Under the draft regulations, operators would have to name the chemicals used in fracking and they would have to test their wells to ensure they can withstand the drilling process.
Fracking has been quietly going on in several counties including Los Angeles, Kern, Monterey and Sacramento to extract hard-to-reach oil. Other states use the technique to recover natural gas.
Environmentalists worry fracking can contaminate groundwater and pollute the air. The industry has said it has been safely used for decades.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.