California Releases Draft Fracking Regulations
Don't Miss This
- Woman Walking With 2-Year-Old Son Hit, Killed By Man Driving Drunk
- Citrus Heights Gaming Hall Actually Slashes Crime In Surrounding Area
- Starting Tuesday, California Law Requires Drivers To Give Cyclists 3 Feet Of Space On Road
- Missing Christian Brothers High School Volleyball Coach Found Alive In Oregon
- Police Detain ‘Django Unchained’ Actress In LA
Get Breaking News First
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — After decades of oil drilling, California has released draft regulations for hydraulic fracturing, or fracking.
The proposed rules were posted online Tuesday by the state’s oil regulators. California currently oversees oil well construction but it has not required disclosure of fracking practices.
Under the draft regulations, operators would have to name the chemicals used in fracking and they would have to test their wells to ensure they can withstand the drilling process.
Fracking has been quietly going on in several counties including Los Angeles, Kern, Monterey and Sacramento to extract hard-to-reach oil. Other states use the technique to recover natural gas.
Environmentalists worry fracking can contaminate groundwater and pollute the air. The industry has said it has been safely used for decades.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.