Security Guard Recovering After Confronting Gunman In Old Sacramento
You might also like...
Get Breaking News First
SACRAMENTO (CBS13) – The security guard who exchanged gunfire with a suspect in the middle of New Year’s Eve celebrations in Old Sacramento on Monday spoke briefly with CBS13 on Tuesday from his hospital bed.
Stefan Walton told us he was in too much pain to talk in length Tuesday night, but he’s lucky to be alive.
The suspect, 22-year-old Carlito Montoya, is also in the hospital suffering from several gunshot wounds from shots fired by Walton.
A search for Montoya’s address led us to a Sacramento home where a woman who answered the door said Montoya does not live here, but she knows him.
“So this is a shock to people , it’s crazy,” she said. “He was a good dude. He took care of his kids, you know? He did for his family, and he was going to school. He was trying to get his life on track. He was only 22.
Police say Montoya’s gunfire rampage started as an argument between several people inside the Sports Corner Café that included a married couple and a doorman.
Montoya allegedly shot all three, killing both men. The woman survived.
Daniel Ferrier, 36, was the doorman. His Facebook page was filled with posts and pictures of him. Some of his friends also paid tribute at the place where he died during a shift where he was filling in for a co-worker who had been in a car accident.
“He gave up his New Year’s Eve and came to work to make sure everybody else was safe,” friend Jesse Smith said. “He was that type of person who thought about others more than himself.”
Montoya’s deadly shots only ended after trading gunfire with security guard Walton, each man shooting and hitting the other in a shocking gunfight in Old Sacramento.
Montoya’s wounds are described as grave and it could be weeks until he’s released from the hospital.