Huffing Overdose Suspected In Death Of Sacramento Man Found In Parking Lot
Don't Miss This
- Raw: Driver Records Cellphone Video Of Stockton Shootout
- Get Ready For More Delays As Interstate 80 Project Will Close Lanes Starting Saturday
- Video: Family, Friends Mourn Death Of Woman Taken Hostage By Bank Robbery Suspects
- Video: Man Killed In Bank Heist, Shootout Was Suspect In January Robbery At Same Bank, Say Detectives
- Portia De Rossi Reportedly Filmed Drunken Fights With Ellen
Get Breaking News First
SACRAMENTO (CBS13) – It’s usually a risky thrill for teens, but the deadly game of huffing has now claimed the life of a Sacramento man.
The latest tragedy took place in Natomas when the victim was found in his car in a store parking lot.
Some do it for a high, and some do it as a joke; but huffing aerosol dust remover is no laughing matter.
“I’ve heard people been sniffing on it and stuff,” one woman said.
“I haven’t heard anything about it recently,” said another woman.
It’s dangerous but rarely deadly. However, it does happen.
It was Saturday morning when customers at the Natomas Fry’s electronics store noticed a man slumped over in his car.
A man in his 40s was found dead with spray duster cans throughout the car. It was an apparent accidental overdose from huffing duster.
“It does give you a euphoria. It does give you an intoxication,” said Rhonda Currier, a certified alcohol and drug counselor.
She says huffing air duster is most common in youth, “because it’s easily accessible. You can use it in the stores. It’s cheap.”
However, it’s also dangerous.
“Prolonged use, you know, can be very serious,” said Currier.
About 100 people die each year from overdoses of inhalants.
It’s not a huge number, but it’s one that will apparently include one Sacramento resident.
Currier hopes it’s a death that makes others take notice, and stores to control large sales of things like air dusters.
“It’s still around. You just don’t hear about it that much,” said Currier.
An autopsy still has to be performed to confirm what killed the victim.