Authorities Warn Against Skating On Frozen Donner Lake
Don't Miss This
- 49ers Fan Who Bought Game Ticket Online Receives Pricey Parking Pass
- Man Faces Jail Time Or $4,000 Fine For Not Watering Lawn
- Thieves Ransack Rio Linda Airman’s Home While He Was Deployed Overseas
- Fresno Man Who Killed Co-Worker, Cut Out Heart, Released From Prison Over Governor’s Objection
- Jackson Teen Leading Rally Against Washington Redskins’ Name At San Francisco 49ers Game
TRUCKEE (AP) — The ice on Donner Lake in the Sierra Nevada may look sturdy, but authorities say it is unstable and are warning skaters of the dangers.
Fire and rescue officials in Truckee say while it was bitterly cold over the past month, temperatures have warmed and the ice is fragile.
They say conditions are similar to five years ago when a skater fell through the ice and drowned.
Authorities say there’s no law or ordinance prohibiting ice skating, but they are urging people to weigh the risk before lacing up their skates and heading onto the lake.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.)