Authorities Warn Against Skating On Frozen Donner Lake
Don't Miss This
- Stockton School District Possibly Selling $2 Million In Unused School Buses
- Strong, This New Member Of Stockton Schools Police Force Is
- After Bed Bug Complaints, Lodi Theater Closed Until Thursday To Eliminate ‘Insect’ Problem
- Alleged Bed Bug Infestation Temporarily Shutters Lodi Movie Theater
- Emerging Solar Plants Are Igniting Birds Mid-Air
Get Breaking News First
TRUCKEE (AP) — The ice on Donner Lake in the Sierra Nevada may look sturdy, but authorities say it is unstable and are warning skaters of the dangers.
Fire and rescue officials in Truckee say while it was bitterly cold over the past month, temperatures have warmed and the ice is fragile.
They say conditions are similar to five years ago when a skater fell through the ice and drowned.
Authorities say there’s no law or ordinance prohibiting ice skating, but they are urging people to weigh the risk before lacing up their skates and heading onto the lake.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.)