Auburn Motel Guests Forced Out By Fire
Don't Miss This
- ICE: Local Authorities Have Denied 8,800 Federal Immigration Hold Requests This Year
- Modesto Wants To Crack Down On Residents Parking Cars On Lawns
- Republican Lawmakers Call For Travel Ban From West Africa Amid Ebola Fears
- Taryn Manning Of ‘Orange Is the New Black’ To Headline Grave Digger’s Ball
- Is Former Sacramento Real-Estate Mogul Once Accused Of Secret Recording At It Again?
Get Breaking News First
AUBURN (CBS13) – Guests at an Auburn motel got an alarming wake-up call after fire broke early Monday morning.
The fire started in one room, but smoke quickly filled the floor.
“Woke up, a little panic,” said Justin Mather, who was staying in motel.
Smoke filled hallways.
“They called my room and went, ‘you need to get out as fast as you can,’” said guest Stephanie Tejada.
Twelve people rushed to evacuate the Motel 6 off Auburn Ravine Road.
“When I came out I saw flames on the window,” said Mather.
Firefighters believe a towel in a microwave caused the chaos on the second floor.
“It was crazy, because I actually choked on the smoke. I was walking and really could not see in front of me. I had to close my eyes and walk myself through the hall, and I’m like, ‘I can’t see.’ Then I literally came out here and was like, gagging,” said Tejada.
Mather was in a state of shock as he stood in freezing temperatures clutching his two young sons.
“[I] saw thick smoke out my door, ran down the hall and knocked on everyone’s doors and got out as fast as we could,” said Mather.
The hotel guests were treated for smoke inhalation, but no one was hospitalized.
Firefighters say they were able to contain the fire to just one room.