RANCHO CORDOVA (CBS13) – Construction crews accidentally cut a natural gas line in Rancho Cordova.
An 8-inch line was cut Tuesday at around 2 p.m. at Douglas Road and Rancho Cordova Parkway.
PG&E and Sacramento Metro Fire Department crews were called out to the scene.
PG&E has sent as many as 15 workers to the field to put a cap on the pipe. They have been taking it slow to take extra precaution since the closest homes are about a quarter-mile away.
Wind continued to whip though the grass fields but that was helping to dilute the gas. Assistant Fire Chief John Wagner said crews were on standby just in case.
Firefighters advised residents to keep their doors and windows closed Tuesday afternoon but said they may be able to smell gas for the next several hours, but evacuations weren’t necessary.
Douglas Road has been closed to traffic from Montelena Drive to Awahnee Drive. It was expected to reopen around 8:30 p.m.