6-Year-Old Boy Finds Loaded Handgun On Modesto Street
Don't Miss This
- Logic Behind Ferguson Grand Jury’s Decision Not To Indict Police Officer May Remain Mystery
- Man Behind Hidden Cash Craze Announces New Charity Effort Aimed At Fighting Hunger
- Brutal Beating Of Disabled Yuba City Man Likely Was Gang Violence
- Sacramento Police Ready For Protests, But Say Outreach Is Key To Avoid Violence
- Reaction To Ferguson Grand Jury Decision Fanned By Social Media
MODESTO (CBS13) – A 6-year-old Modesto boy made a dangerous discovery on Tuesday – a loaded handgun – but fortunately an adult was nearby and the child was unharmed.
“The thought they could just be lying around for kids to find is really scary” neighbor Jennifer Alaniz said.
Police say the 6-year-old boy picked up the loaded handgun Monday afternoon on Miller Street.
“A lot of crazy things happen in this neighborhood, so it doesn’t really surprise you after a while,” Charlie Dickerson said.
But for Sherika Thomas, a mother of two, it’s all just sad and scary.
“The kid probably would’ve played with it, shot it, you never know what could’ve happened,” she said.
Luckily cops say the young boy’s parent was outside while he was playing and called 911 after taking the Smith and Wesson revolver out of his tiny hands.
“A million terrible things could’ve happened,” Alaniz said. “I’m just thankful nothing did actually.”
Modesto police took the gun for evidence but haven’t released any information on it.
“A lot of kids in this neighborhood know what’s up with guns because of how this neighborhood can be at times,” Dickerson said.