UPDATE: Fairfield Man Arrested In Death Of 13-Year-Old Suisun City Girl
Don't Miss This
- Jackson Teen Leading Rally Against Washington Redskins’ Name At San Francisco 49ers Game
- Sacramento Sheriff: Immigration Message to President Obama Was Nonpartisan
- Former FOX40 Anchor, Former Fiancé Enter ‘Not Guilty’ Pleas
- Musical Performers Announced For ‘Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show’
- Utah Woman Wears Colander For Driver’s License Photo As Religious Statement
FAIRFIELD (CBS13) – A Fairfield man has been arrested in the death of a 13-year-old Suisun City girl found naked in a city park last week, police announced Friday.
He is 32-year-old Anthony Lamar Jones, and he’s accused of the unthinkable.
“We have evidence linking Jones to this homicide, and we believe at this time, that he acted alone,” Sgt. Rebecca Belk said in a late morning news conference.
Detectives arrested Jones early Friday morning in the 1100 block of E. Tabor Avenue. He’s accused of killing 13-year-old Genelle Conway-Allen, whose nude body was found at Allan Witt Park in Fairfield a week ago.
The teen’s foster family spoke through a statement Belk read.
“With tears in our hearts we can now begin to say goodbye to sweet Genelle. Genelle, we love you so much. May you find peace forever. We will always always love you.”
Fairfield police and FBI agents spent all day serving a search warrant at Jones’ Fairfield home looking for more evidence.
For neighbors, it all comes as a complete shock.
“Worst crime anyone can ever imagine,” one woman said.
“That house has always been really quiet,” a man said.
But with that shock also comes relief.
“I’m glad that they got him in time before he was able to get anybody else or harm anybody else,” the man said.
While police would not release what led to Jones, they say he identified as a suspect early on.
“He has been under 24-hour surveillance,” Belk said. “Therefore, there was no danger to the public during the investigation.”
“He’s sick,” a neighbor said. “He needs God’s prayer.”
Police declined to take any questions at the press conference, citing the ongoing investigation. “Our priority at this time is for due process and successful prosecution in this case,” Belk said in a prepared statement.
Conway-Allen went missing from Suisun City on the afternoon of Jan. 31. Her body was discovered by someone walking through the park in Fairfield early the next morning.
Solano County District Attorney Donald du Bain held a brief press conference Friday afternoon where he introduced the prosecution team and thanked police investigators. “The murder of a 13-year-old little girl assaults the very core of who we are and what we stand for as a community,” du Bain said in a prepared statement.
Jones’ arraignment is scheduled for 1:30 p.m. Wednesday afternoon.