UPDATED: SWAT Standoff Ends; Suspect Found Dead In Home
Don't Miss This
- Logic Behind Ferguson Grand Jury’s Decision Not To Indict Police Officer May Remain Mystery
- Man Behind Hidden Cash Craze Announces New Charity Effort Aimed At Fighting Hunger
- Brutal Beating Of Disabled Yuba City Man Likely Was Gang Violence
- Sacramento Police Ready For Protests, But Say Outreach Is Key To Avoid Violence
- Reaction To Ferguson Grand Jury Decision Fanned By Social Media
ELK GROVE (CBS13) – A SWAT standoff ended tragically Tuesday afternoon with the suspect committing suicide, Elk Grove police confirmed.
Officers were called out to the home on Newington Road and Folkstone Way around 11:45 a.m. after a husband and wife got into a verbal argument that escalated quickly. The husband allegedly assaulted his wife with a loaded handgun.
Elk Grove police Officer Chris Trimm tells CBS13 that the husband struck his wife across the face with the gun. Their teenage son was in the home at the time of the incident and confronted his father. The son reportedly wrestled the gun away from his father, and then was able to escape from the home with both his mother and the gun.
The loaded gun was turned over to officers. The father remained inside the home, and was believed to be in possession of other firearms. Police say, he was not responding to their commands.
Along with the Elk Grove Police Department, both SWAT and hostage negotiation teams were on scene.