Suspect At Center Of SWAT Standoff On Highway 99 Arrested
Don't Miss This
- Man Accused Of Stabbing Sacramento Woman To Death Arrested
- Old Sacramento’s Gold Rush Days Panned Because Of Drought
- Colusa Husband And Wife Arrested For Allegedly Kidnapping Teen Who Made Their Child Cry
- Dolls Lefts On Doorsteps Were Meant To Spread Cheer Not Chill
- 5 Women Who Have Been Killin’ It This Summer
Get Breaking News First
MANTECA (CBS13) – A standoff that halted highway traffic in Manteca ended after SWAT used tear gas on the suspect who barricaded himself inside a propane tanker.
California Highway Patrol closed southbound Highway 99 near Yosemite Avenue in Manteca after responding to reports of a nearby shooting around 6:30 p.m. Wednesday.
Manteca police Sgt. Jodie Estarziau said the man drove his car into a propane tank in a propane yard near Austin Road, starting a fire. The man reportedly attempted to leave the yard with a propane tanker truck, but was thwarted by an unknown man. The two exchanged gunfire and the suspect suffered a non-life threatening gunshot wound.
Responding officers also exchanged fire with the suspect before he fled. Police say no officers were hurt in the incident. The man then barricaded himself inside of a propane truck, causing fear of a potential explosion, Estarziau said.
SWAT engaged in negotiations with the man in hopes of getting him to surrender peacefully. However, at around 10:45 p.m., police used tear gas on the truck and the man was arrested.