Elk Grove High Wrestler Places Second In State Championships
Don't Miss This
- ICE: Local Authorities Have Denied 8,800 Federal Immigration Hold Requests This Year
- Modesto Wants To Crack Down On Residents Parking Cars On Lawns
- Republican Lawmakers Call For Travel Ban From West Africa Amid Ebola Fears
- Taryn Manning Of ‘Orange Is the New Black’ To Headline Grave Digger’s Ball
- Is Former Sacramento Real-Estate Mogul Once Accused Of Secret Recording At It Again?
Get Breaking News First
ELK GROVE (CBS13) – An Elk Grove High School wrestler defied expectations by placing second in the state championships.
Scott Votino is only the sixth person in Elk Grove High history to reach the finals and his story is even more surprising when you consider he only started wrestling four years ago.
“I was at school one day and they were talking about starting wrestling. I was horrible at basketball, horrible at baseball. Tried wrestling and i liked it,” he said.
Votino was considered a long shot going into the finals.
“Before the tourney they look at each wrestler and they take stats and the say where they think you will finish. They said the Votino kid, if he is lucky, might place fifth,” said Votino.
He proved them wrong.
“I upset some people,” said Votino.
His winning streak helped him get into the college of his dreams: the U.S. Military Academy at West Point.