Elk Grove High Wrestler Places Second In State Championships
Don't Miss This
- Jury Convicts Man Of Killing Ex-Girlfriend In Winters
- Apple CEO Tim Cook Publicly Acknowledges He’s Gay
- Terminally Ill Woman May Postpone Taking Her Life
- Turlock Designer’s Idea Puts Quick, Complex Games In Your Pocket
- How Did Luis Enrique Monroy-Bracamonte Hide In United States Illegally Until Deputy Killings?
Get Breaking News First
ELK GROVE (CBS13) – An Elk Grove High School wrestler defied expectations by placing second in the state championships.
Scott Votino is only the sixth person in Elk Grove High history to reach the finals and his story is even more surprising when you consider he only started wrestling four years ago.
“I was at school one day and they were talking about starting wrestling. I was horrible at basketball, horrible at baseball. Tried wrestling and i liked it,” he said.
Votino was considered a long shot going into the finals.
“Before the tourney they look at each wrestler and they take stats and the say where they think you will finish. They said the Votino kid, if he is lucky, might place fifth,” said Votino.
He proved them wrong.
“I upset some people,” said Votino.
His winning streak helped him get into the college of his dreams: the U.S. Military Academy at West Point.