Pleasant Grove Wins High School Division I Basketball State Championship
Don't Miss This
- Starting Tuesday, California Law Requires Drivers To Give Cyclists 3 Feet Of Space On Road
- Missing Christian Brothers High School Volleyball Coach Found Alive In Oregon
- Police Detain ‘Django Unchained’ Actress In LA
- Researchers Say Sacramento’s Bad Roads Are Bad For Business
- Mountain Lion Linked To Southern California Boy’s Attack Killed By Wildlife Officials
Get Breaking News First
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — Matthew Hayes scored 19 points to lead Pleasant Grove past Santa Monica, 73-57, to win the California Division I boys’ championship at Sleep Train Pavilion in Sacramento Friday.
Malik Thames had 16 and Colfax Norquist added 13 for Pleasant Grove (28-6), which took a 9-8 lead midway through the first quarter and never trailed again.
Chris Smith led Santa Monica (29-7) with 20 points. The team’s leading scorer Jordan Mathews played only 12 minutes before fouling out with 7:15 left in the game and finished with just nine points.
The victory gave Pleasant Grove its first state title.
The win was the first for a Northern California team out of the six games played Friday.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.