2 Yuba City High Seniors Awarded $20K Scholarships From Sporting Goods Retailer
Don't Miss This
- Women Respond To Ice Bucket Challenge By Raising Money For California Town With Dry Wells
- Stockton Man Pleads For Return Of Dog Stolen From His Car
- Sketch Released Of Suspect Wanted For 2 Stabbings Near Downtown Sacramento
- Roseville Woman Run Over By Own SUV, Dies
- U-Haul Crashes Into Citrus Heights Home, Hitting Baby’s Room
Get Breaking News First
YUBA CITY (CBS13) – Two Yuba City high school seniors got a big surprise, learning they won a big college scholarship worth $20,000.
Foot Locker corporate representatives stopped by River Valley High School to deliver the checks to the stunned teens, who were only two of 20 recipients in the country.
“Knowing that there were only 20 people throughout the United States, I was skeptical, but I wanted to give it a shot to see if I got it,” said Swarnjit Boyal.
The scholar-athlete award is based on academics, athletics and community service. And, with thousands applying, it’s quite a feat to have two recipients from one school.
“It was a pretty long process — the application. And then the interview was kind of scary because we did it over Skype,” said Bethany Morrow.
“It’s amazing; I’m the proudest principal,” Principal Tom Reusser said.
Boyal and Morrow plan to stay in California for college.