FBI Identify Possible Suspect In Boston Marathon Bombings
Don't Miss This
- CHP Officers, Teacher Help Santa Deliver Presents To Boy Who Didn’t Get Visit Last Year
- Lawyer Allegedly Caught During Sexual Encounter With Jailed Inmate Fires Back
- Man Allegedly Sets Himself And Wife On Fire In Stockton
- Davis Teen Gets 52 Years To Life In Brutal Slaying Of Elderly Couple In Their Beds
- Caltrans May Pick Up The Tab For Your Car’s Pothole Damage
BOSTON (CBS13) – There is a possible break in the investigation into the Boston Marathon bombings. No arrests have been made at this time, but there is surveillance video of a possible suspect believed to have planted the bombs.
Authorities are trying to decide whether or not to identify the man publically, but there is a good description of who they are looking for.
A law enforcement source has confirmed to CBS News that a suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings has been identified in surveillance video. The suspect is a young man who appears to be dropping a black bag carrying the second bomb that exploded near the finish line.
Investigators say the suspect in the video is wearing a grey hoodie and a baseball cap turned backwards. The suspect was on his cell phone when the first bomb went off — then seen quickly leaving the scene.
According to CBS sources, investigators zeroed in on the suspect using cell phone records that showed who was making calls in the area at that exact time.
Investigators in hazardous material suits searched the scene of the bombings Wednesday.
FBI photos show the remains of an explosive device, including twisted pieces of metal, charred wires, and a battery. One photo shows a half inch nail and part of a zipper stained with blood.
The items are now being analyzed at the FBI headquarters in Virginia.
Investigators say the devices were pressure cooker bombs, packed with shrapnel. The lid of one apparently blew to a nearby roof.
The explosions left three people dead and more than 170 injured. Doctors performed amputations on many and removed chunks of debris.
“We’ve taken out large quantities of pieces of things,” said Dr. Peter Burke, Boston Medical Center. “Some are metal, some are plastic, some are wood, some are concrete.”
President Obama and the first lady will travel to Boston Thursday to attend a memorial service for the victims.
A woman that graduated from Sacramento’s St. Francis High School is one of the many people hurt in the blast.
Jessica Kensky Downes and her husband were standing near the finish line when the first bomb exploded at the marathon.
“It touches each one of us,” said Heather Moloney, a former classmate of Downes.
As chaos erupted 3,000 miles away, back in Sacramento, the St. Francis faculty’s heart sank.
“It stops, just unimaginable; you just start praying that everyone is going to be OK,” guidance councilor Nancy Doyle said.
“We’ve got out classrooms praying for her; this community is rallying for her,” St. Francis Chairman of Theology Rick Norman said.
Downes grew up in Gold River, where neighbors told us it will be a traumatic recovery for Downes and her husband, who are recovering in separate Boston-area hospitals.
“I’m sad for her and her family as she’s recuperating from her injuries,” said Moloney. “It’s also scary to know how quickly life can change for any of us.”
The news still effects the faculty, especially for Norman — who taught Downes for two years.
“To see a world that would injure someone like that has confidence and health, and she’s athletic and smart — I was devastated,” he said.
Downes currently lives in Boston and works as a nurse.
St. Francis High School has set up a prayer board on campus for her.