UPDATED: Woman Found Dead In Home Following Rio Linda Standoff Identified
Don't Miss This
- Women Respond To Ice Bucket Challenge By Raising Money For California Town With Dry Wells
- Stockton Man Pleads For Return Of Dog Stolen From His Car
- Sketch Released Of Suspect Wanted For 2 Stabbings Near Downtown Sacramento
- Roseville Woman Run Over By Own SUV, Dies
- U-Haul Crashes Into Citrus Heights Home, Hitting Baby’s Room
Get Breaking News First
RIO LINDA (CBS13) – Authorities found the body of a woman inside a Rio Linda home that was the focus of police activity on Wednesday morning.
Shortly after 5:30 a.m., a man called 911 to report he had shot and killed his roommate at their home in the 400 block of Lilac Lane.
As SWAT team deputies surrounded the home, Lilac Lane was closed off and three to four nearby homes were evacuated as a precaution.
After an hours-long standoff, the suspect — identified as 58-year-old Stephen Brainard — came out of the home and surrendered peacefully around 9:50 a.m.
Deputies entered the home and found the body of 51-year-old Julia Bullinger Ray in a bedroom. She was pronounced dead at the scene, police say, most likely from multiple gunshot wounds.
Brainard was taken into custody for questioning and will likely be booked into Sacramento County Main Jail for charges related to the Ray’s death.