Serial Tree Killer Chopping Cedars in El Dorado County
Don't Miss This
- Starting Tuesday, California Law Requires Drivers To Give Cyclists 3 Feet Of Space On Road
- Missing Christian Brothers High School Volleyball Coach Found Alive In Oregon
- Police Detain ‘Django Unchained’ Actress In LA
- Researchers Say Sacramento’s Bad Roads Are Bad For Business
- Mountain Lion Linked To Southern California Boy’s Attack Killed By Wildlife Officials
Get Breaking News First
EL DORADO COUNTY (CBS13) — Someone is targeting cedar trees and Robert Dietz isn’t happy about it.
The El Dorado County resident has taken extreme measures against the person cutting down cedar trees including placing boobie traps and hidden cameras nearby.
The trees he said, were planted about 25 years ago to keep out noise from busy Lotus Road.
He finally caught the tree chopper in action with an infared camera.
“This person made sure these trees were killed and they didn’t grow back,” Dietz said.
He says the serial tree killer has been to his property three times in the last four months, late at night to chop down his trees.
“Only incense cedars. Not deodar cedars. Not pine trees. Not oak trees. It’s this tree.”
Even more puzzling, Dietz says the serial chopper doesn’t take the trees he cuts. Instead, he tosses them into a nearby pond like they’re garbage.
“They are strong enough to pick a 10-foot tree up and throw it from this road into the pond,” he said. “They just cut them down just to cut them down.”
He says other properties along Lotus Road have seen the same thing happen to their cedar trees. He’s now hoping this video will lead to an arrest and some relief.
Robert says he’ll keep replanting and replacing these trees until he’s too old or he runs out of money. He’s offering a $500 reward for anyone with information leading to an arrest.
More local stories from CBSSacramento.com:
- Wife Bites Husband’s Genitals During Fight That Started At Rodeo
- Man ‘Controlled By Satellites’ Makes 100 Calls To 911 In A Month, Vows To Continue
- Doctor Reprimanded After Prescribing Oral Sex To Patient
- Babysitter Behind Bars After 3-Year-Old Runs Away
- Stanislaus County Claims Eminent Domain On Home For Road Project