Sacramento City Councilman Floating Outdoor Smoking Ban
Don't Miss This
- Stockton Police Employee Hit While Crossing Street Dies
- Davis Children Offer Grinch Free Cookies In Return For Stolen Christmas Lights
- Women Chased On Interstate 80 By Driver Posing As Sheriff’s Deputy In Alleged Road Rage Incident
- CHP Officers, Teacher Help Santa Deliver Presents To Boy Who Didn’t Get Visit Last Year
- Lawyer Allegedly Caught During Sexual Encounter With Jailed Inmate Fires Back
SACRAMENTO (CBS13) — A Sacramento City Councilman is considering an ordinance to make smoking illegal in outdoor public areas.
While it’s not against the law to smoke in outdoor dining areas, some business owners don’t allow it.
Councilman Steve Hansen is working with the American Cancer Society on crafting an ordinance which would ban smoking in outdoor areas.
While the details are still being worked out, the ban could include all outdoor public smoking areas at restaurants and bars.
Those who run those businesses that would be affected say a smoking ordinance would impact many businesses, including the Shady Lady Saloon.
“People may have a perception that we’re making money hand over fist in the bar business—in the restaurant business,” said Shady Lady general manager Carl Wenger.
“I feed my kids out of this business, and I’ve got employees who are in that same boat, so it would hurt all of us.”
Smokers say it’s already difficult to find a business that welcomes them.