Sacramento City Councilman Floating Outdoor Smoking Ban
Don't Miss This
- Tahoe Woman Attacked By Bear May Face Feeding Charges
- Almost 100 Buildings Uninhabitable After Quake
- Dating On Duty: Officers Accused Of Screening Dates Using Police System
- Stockton School District Possibly Selling $2 Million In Unused School Buses
- Strong, This New Member Of Stockton Schools Police Force Is
Get Breaking News First
SACRAMENTO (CBS13) — A Sacramento City Councilman is considering an ordinance to make smoking illegal in outdoor public areas.
While it’s not against the law to smoke in outdoor dining areas, some business owners don’t allow it.
Councilman Steve Hansen is working with the American Cancer Society on crafting an ordinance which would ban smoking in outdoor areas.
While the details are still being worked out, the ban could include all outdoor public smoking areas at restaurants and bars.
Those who run those businesses that would be affected say a smoking ordinance would impact many businesses, including the Shady Lady Saloon.
“People may have a perception that we’re making money hand over fist in the bar business—in the restaurant business,” said Shady Lady general manager Carl Wenger.
“I feed my kids out of this business, and I’ve got employees who are in that same boat, so it would hurt all of us.”
Smokers say it’s already difficult to find a business that welcomes them.