Sacramento City Councilman Floating Outdoor Smoking Ban
Don't Miss This
- Man Rescued From Abandoned Mother Lode Mine
- Man Gets 3-Year Jail Sentence For Torturing Puppy In Front Of Daughter
- Mom, Daughter Record Bear’s Romp Through Auburn Cemetery
- Is This You? Gas Station Surveillance Video Reveals Stockton’s Latest Lottery Millionaire
- California Bans State Agencies From Selling Or Displaying Items With Confederate Flag
Get Breaking News First
SACRAMENTO (CBS13) — A Sacramento City Councilman is considering an ordinance to make smoking illegal in outdoor public areas.
While it’s not against the law to smoke in outdoor dining areas, some business owners don’t allow it.
Councilman Steve Hansen is working with the American Cancer Society on crafting an ordinance which would ban smoking in outdoor areas.
While the details are still being worked out, the ban could include all outdoor public smoking areas at restaurants and bars.
Those who run those businesses that would be affected say a smoking ordinance would impact many businesses, including the Shady Lady Saloon.
“People may have a perception that we’re making money hand over fist in the bar business—in the restaurant business,” said Shady Lady general manager Carl Wenger.
“I feed my kids out of this business, and I’ve got employees who are in that same boat, so it would hurt all of us.”
Smokers say it’s already difficult to find a business that welcomes them.