South Sacramento Park Finally Opens After 15 Years
Don't Miss This
Get Breaking News First
SACRAMENTO (CBS13) – The south Sacramento project was more than a decade in the making, and it finally received a ribbon-cutting ceremony Wednesday.
The ground breaking ceremony took place a year ago, but hip-high weeds are long gone as Franklin Boyce Community Park celebrated its opening.
“It’s wonderful; it doesn’t look like a fire hazard waiting to happen,” said Kathi Riley, who lives near the park.
It’s been 15 years in the making.
“For quality of life in Sacramento, this is what we need,” neighbor B.J. Barrett said.
Sacramento City Councilmember Bonnie Pannell had been working days and nights on this project.
“Every child needs a place, a safe place, to play and this is one site of many to play,” she said.
The park, at the corner of Franklin Boulevard and Boyce Drive in south Sacramento is set on 10 acres and boasts two soccer fields, a walking path and benches. Most importantly, it serves as a detention basin to protect homes from flooding.
“You got many options up in here,” neighbor Sean Dockery said. “I think it’s a good thing, and I’m glad that the city of Sacramento decided to do something.”
People who live off Franklin Boulevard are raving about the new addition. And the $1.9 million price tag to build it doesn’t seem to bother them.
“We were all so tired of seeing tall grass,” said Barrett.
She added that the jack rabbits running around in the tall grass were nice, but they don’t compare to the gorgeous greenery now in place.
Now that phase one is complete, CBS13 was told that an empty field in the park is part of phase two, which will add more soccer fields.
There are also bathrooms near the entrance for park goers to use.