One Person Killed, One Seriously Injured In Interstate 5 Crash
Don't Miss This
- Man Accused Of Stabbing Sacramento Woman To Death Arrested
- Old Sacramento’s Gold Rush Days Panned Because Of Drought
- Colusa Husband And Wife Arrested For Allegedly Kidnapping Teen Who Made Their Child Cry
- Dolls Lefts On Doorsteps Were Meant To Spread Cheer Not Chill
- 5 Women Who Have Been Killin’ It This Summer
Get Breaking News First
SACRAMENTO (CBS13) – All lanes of northbound Interstate 5 at Del Paso Road are back open, but moving slowly, following a major accident early Thursday morning.
“Looks like a car exploded. Debris everywhere, firemen running around, pretty chaotic,” said CHP Sgt. Benjamin Ashby of the accident scene.
At around 1:30 a.m., a man driving a silver sedan in the northbound lane of Interstate 5 began swerving into oncoming traffic, according to a California Highway Patrol spokesperson. He hit a black car head-on, killing that 23-year-old driver instantly.
“Our debris field is rather large, about 300 yards and covers all four lanes of the freeway,” said Ashby.
A family of five driving in an SUV was also hit, but was not seriously hurt.
The driver who’s responsible for the crash is in the hospital with serious injuries.
Officers are still investigating why the driver went into oncoming traffic.
The identities of both the 23-year-old driver killed, and the wrong-way driver have not yet been released.