Chico Beagle-Boxer-Basset Hound Named World’s Ugliest Dog
Don't Miss This
- Woman Walking With 2-Year-Old Son Hit, Killed By Man Driving Drunk
- Citrus Heights Gaming Hall Actually Slashes Crime In Surrounding Area
- Starting Tuesday, California Law Requires Drivers To Give Cyclists 3 Feet Of Space On Road
- Missing Christian Brothers High School Volleyball Coach Found Alive In Oregon
- Police Detain ‘Django Unchained’ Actress In LA
Get Breaking News First
PETALUMA (AP) – A huge-headed, duck-footed mix of beagle, boxer and basset hound was the upset winner Friday at the 25th annual World’s Ugliest Dog Contest.
Walle, a 4-year-old mutt from Chico who was entered at the last minute, was judged most unsightly of 30 dogs at the Northern California competition.
“This dog looked like he’s been photoshopped with pieces from various dogs and maybe a few other animals,” judge Brian Sobel said.
Walle overcame the dominance in recent years by nearly hairless Chihuahuas, Chinese cresteds, or combinations of the two.
Owner Tammie Barbee got the dog when he was three months old.
“People come up to me and say that dog is not right,” Barbee said, “but I love him.”
Judges said they were especially impressed by Walle’s bizarre waddle of a walk.
Walle wins $1,500 and will make several network TV appearances next week, including NBC’s “Today” show and ABC’s “Jimmy Kimmel Live.”
The contest at the Sonoma-Marin Fairgrounds gets worldwide attention, with media from around the world traveling to Petaluma, about 40 miles north of San Francisco.
Organizers say the dogs are judged for their “natural ugliness in both pedigree and mutt classes.”
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.