Highway 50 Fully Open Near Kyburz Fire
Don't Miss This
- 49ers Fan Who Bought Game Ticket Online Receives Pricey Parking Pass
- Man Faces Jail Time Or $4,000 Fine For Not Watering Lawn
- Thieves Ransack Rio Linda Airman’s Home While He Was Deployed Overseas
- Fresno Man Who Killed Co-Worker, Cut Out Heart, Released From Prison Over Governor’s Objection
- Jackson Teen Leading Rally Against Washington Redskins’ Name At San Francisco 49ers Game
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — The U.S. Forest Service says it expects to have the Kyburz Fire fully contained by Friday.
Officials said Wednesday morning that the fire near Kyburz is now 615 acres but is about 80 percent contained. Kyburz is about 40 miles southwest of South Lake Tahoe and surrounded by the Eldorado National Forest.
Some affected areas have rugged terrain, requiring firefighters to bring in equipment on foot instead of using trucks.
All lanes along Highway 50 near the fire reopened Tuesday.
Officials say no homes were threatened but the fire destroyed a shed and an outhouse.
The California Highway Patrol says the fire may have been sparked Monday by a broken axle from a motorhome towing a truck.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.