Highway 50 Fully Open Near Kyburz Fire
Don't Miss This
- ICE: Local Authorities Have Denied 8,800 Federal Immigration Hold Requests This Year
- Modesto Wants To Crack Down On Residents Parking Cars On Lawns
- Republican Lawmakers Call For Travel Ban From West Africa Amid Ebola Fears
- Taryn Manning Of ‘Orange Is the New Black’ To Headline Grave Digger’s Ball
- Is Former Sacramento Real-Estate Mogul Once Accused Of Secret Recording At It Again?
Get Breaking News First
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — The U.S. Forest Service says it expects to have the Kyburz Fire fully contained by Friday.
Officials said Wednesday morning that the fire near Kyburz is now 615 acres but is about 80 percent contained. Kyburz is about 40 miles southwest of South Lake Tahoe and surrounded by the Eldorado National Forest.
Some affected areas have rugged terrain, requiring firefighters to bring in equipment on foot instead of using trucks.
All lanes along Highway 50 near the fire reopened Tuesday.
Officials say no homes were threatened but the fire destroyed a shed and an outhouse.
The California Highway Patrol says the fire may have been sparked Monday by a broken axle from a motorhome towing a truck.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.