Teenager Dies In Father’s Arms At Camp Sacramento After Peanut Reaction

CARMICHAEL (CBS13) — A teenager at Camp Sacramento died in her father’s arms after an allergic reaction from a Rice Krispie treat.

Natalie Giorgi, 13, bit into the treat while at the camp with family and friends over the weekend.

The treat was iced with chocolate and peanut butter, and the teen was allergic to peanuts. Even though she spat it out, the bite was enough to put her to anaphylactic shock and cardiac arrest.

Natalie, struggling to breathe, would not regain consciousness. She would die in her father’s arms.

It’s a story Dr. Travis Miller has heard too many times.

“Peanut allergies are actually three times more—increased threefold in the last decade, which is really striking,” he said. “I understand it was dark, so there was a mistake about what type of food she was eating.”

Having watched Natalie grow up one Sunday at a time, Rev. Michael Kiernan says her death is hitting the church and the Carmichael community hard.

“Joyous, helpful, intelligent. Just a sweet and delightful young girl.”

The family issued a statement saying in part, “As our hearts are breaking over this tragedy, we hope others can learn from this that food allergies are life-threatening.”

Comments

One Comment

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Sacramento

Get Our App
Get The CBS Sacramento Weather AppGet the latest radar, CBS13 AppCasts and hour-by-hour forecasts. You can also send your weather pics.

Listen Live