UPDATED: Police Say People Found Dead In Burned Modesto Home Suspicious
Don't Miss This
- Woman Walking With 2-Year-Old Son Hit, Killed By Man Driving Drunk
- Citrus Heights Gaming Hall Actually Slashes Crime In Surrounding Area
- Starting Tuesday, California Law Requires Drivers To Give Cyclists 3 Feet Of Space On Road
- Missing Christian Brothers High School Volleyball Coach Found Alive In Oregon
- Police Detain ‘Django Unchained’ Actress In LA
Get Breaking News First
MODESTO (CBS13) – Police are saying the deaths of two people found in a north Modesto home that caught fire overnight are now being investigated as suspicious.
Fire crews were called to the home in the 4000 block of Divan Court shortly after 3 a.m. Thursday to battle the blaze. Firefighters say the flames were burning in a bedroom on the second floor of the home.
The Modesto Regional Fire Authority says firefighters discovered two bodies in the bedroom as they were extinguishing the flames.
Early on in the investigation, authorities said there were no signs of foul play. However, in a news release sent out Thursday afternoon, Modesto police said “detectives have located evidence indicating the deaths may not have been accidental.”
The cause and origin of the fire is still under investigation.
The identities of the victims are being withheld pending next of kin notification.
Anyone with information regarding the investigation is urged to contact Crime Stoppers at (209) 521-4636. Callers can remain anonymous and may be eligible for a cash reward. Tipsters can also text information to Crime Stoppers by sending a text message to 274637. Just type “TIP704” along with your message.
Tune in to CBS13 News or check back with CBSSacramento.com for more on this developing story.