WOODLAND (CBS13) – Several senior citizens were rushed out of their Woodland apartment complex after a car broke a gas pipeline Sunday.
The loud hiss of gas scared seniors as it spewed some volatile fumes into the air on West Lincoln Avenue.
“Someone came banging on my door about quarter to 7 this morning,” said Maureen Turner.
Nearly 50 senior citizens were rushed out as PG&E crews scrambled to turn off the gas and the power before anything sparked.
“By the time I got downstairs, I was gagging,” said Kathy Chavez.
Chavez lives right above the gas line break, and received the brunt of the toxic fumes.
“Have you ever had motion sickness? It’s about ten times worse,” said Chavez. “I was gagging, coughing, couldn’t hardly breathe.”
Fortunately for the evacuated seniors, the church across the street opened its doors early. The church provided the seniors with food, water and air conditioning before being allowed back home.
“The church fed us breakfast, Red Cross fed us brunch, been treating us really good,” said Turner.
Firefighters made sure all the senior citizens got their medications.
It took about eight hours before everyone was allowed back in the apartment complex.
The power has been restored, but it will be sometime before the gas is back on.