Rim Fire Creates Spooky Skies Along Interstate 80
Don't Miss This
- Sketch Released Of Suspect Wanted For 2 Stabbings Near Downtown Sacramento
- Roseville Woman Run Over By Own SUV, Dies
- U-Haul Crashes Into Citrus Heights Home, Hitting Baby’s Room
- Davis Police MRAP Just One Of Hundreds Of Items Acquired From Military Surplus In Yolo County
- East Porterville Residents Without Water As Wells Go Dry During California Drought
Get Breaking News First
TRUCKEE (CBS13) — Wednesday night in Truckee and along Interstate 80, people were stopping to snap a picture of sometimes-creepy-looking clouds.
Bill Tinlin didn’t know whether to run, or relish in the sky’s beauty.
“I was wondering if a funnel cloud could come down at this altitude.”
Severe weather did roll through the area earlier in the afternoon, but the spooky looking clouds were harmless.
They got their unusual look and tint from smoke, some of which had traveled all the way from the Rim Fire near Yosemite.
“I mean the skies are just incredible right now. I’ve never seen anything like this.”
Titan HD Radar picked up the smoke plume as something resembling a stalled downpour sprawling more than 50 miles to the north.
Omas Asgar is visiting from England and was expecting a little more blue from our California summer sky.
“Orange skies—it was like you were looking through wearing sunglasses.”
Even with the added smoke, he says it isn’t a bother yet, and it will make for some great pictures and stories later.
“In fact it was quite picturesque. Something different, something to tell the folks back home about.”