UPDATED: Sinkhole Forms On I-80 Near Donner Pass; All Lanes Reopened
Don't Miss This
- Kings Rally Late, Win Vegas Summer Title
- 40-Year-Old Mom With Two Kids Becomes NFL Cheerleader
- Raw: Driver Records Cellphone Video Of Stockton Shootout
- Get Ready For More Delays As Interstate 80 Project Will Close Lanes Starting Saturday
- Video: Family, Friends Mourn Death Of Woman Taken Hostage By Bank Robbery Suspects
Get Breaking News First
DONNER PASS (CBS13) – A sinkhole in the center divide of Interstate 80 has led to the partial closure of the freeway in the Sierra.
CHP says a paving crew was working on the center divide of the freeway when the wheel of a construction vehicle fell through a 2-3-foot patch of soft dirt. As they were removing the vehicle, crews noticed a much larger sinkhole underneath.
Loose dirt was removed from the hole, exposing a hole measuring 3 feet wide and 8 feet deep.
CHP says the sinkhole was caused by an elbow-shaped culvert that broke.
One lane in each direction closest to the center divide had been closed as a precaution.
The westbound lane was reopened just after noon, and the eastbound lane reopened around 2:40 p.m.