Proposal Would Preference On Kings Arena Jobs To Highest-Unemployed ZIP Codes
Don't Miss This
- CHP Officers, Teacher Help Santa Deliver Presents To Boy Who Didn’t Get Visit Last Year
- Lawyer Allegedly Caught During Sexual Encounter With Jailed Inmate Fires Back
- Man Allegedly Sets Himself And Wife On Fire In Stockton
- Davis Teen Gets 52 Years To Life In Brutal Slaying Of Elderly Couple In Their Beds
- Caltrans May Pick Up The Tab For Your Car’s Pothole Damage
SACRAMENTO (CBS13) — A new Sacramento Kings arena jobs plan is circulating in that would give greater access to permanent positions based on where applicants live.
They are the sign of tough times. Closed shops, blighted streets and out of work people.
Sacramento has plenty of ZIP codes still dealing with double-digit unemployment.
95817 Oak Park—14.1 percent
95815 North Sacramento—14.9 percent
95814 Downtown—16.2 percent
95824 between Fruitridge and 47th Avenue—16.3 percent
And the highest, 95832 Meadowview—17.1 percent
Mayor Kevin Johnson is promoting the proposed downtown arena as a place to find jobs.
Now there’s a new plan by Bill camp with the Sacramento Central Labor Council to give people in the ZIP codes with the highest unemployment first dibs on permanent arena work.
“It’s unique to my knowledge,” he said.
21-year-old Marcus Yancy says he’d like it. He bikes to a Sacramento Regional Conservation Corps headquartered in one of the struggling ZIP codes.
“It’s a good program, and the arena can do the same thing for other kids or youth. That would be a great program. That would be a great opportunity.”