Sacramento Teen Dies Alone After Giving Birth In S.C. Dorm Room
Don't Miss This
- Man Accused Of Stabbing Sacramento Woman To Death Arrested
- Old Sacramento’s Gold Rush Days Panned Because Of Drought
- Colusa Husband And Wife Arrested For Allegedly Kidnapping Teen Who Made Their Child Cry
- Dolls Lefts On Doorsteps Were Meant To Spread Cheer Not Chill
- 5 Women Who Have Been Killin’ It This Summer
Get Breaking News First
COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — Authorities say a 19-year-old Benedict College student bled to death after delivering a stillborn baby alone in her dorm room.
Richland County Coroner Gary Watts said the student was found dead Tuesday night, but the delivery likely happened about three days before.
Watts says the woman likely would have survived if she sought medical help, but he doesn’t know why she didn’t call 911.
Benedict officials said Ayaanah Gibson was a freshman majoring in chemistry from Sacramento, Calif.
The coroner says she lived by herself in a dorm. Watts says Gibson was about 32 weeks pregnant, and it appears the labor occurred naturally and was not induced.
Benedict College is a Baptist-affiliated school with about 3,200 students.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.