SACRAMENTO (CBS13) – Investigators say a fire that began in the backyard of a Sacramento home Friday spread and eventually reduced the structure to a smoldering heap.
Firefighters reported the blaze at the home in the area of Hedge Avenue and Fruitridge Road at 4:44 p.m. Friday.
Fruitridge / Hedge. Units en route to reported structure fire
— MetroFirePIO (@metrofirepio) September 6, 2013
Witnesses called 911 reporting popping sounds believed to be explosions coming from the home.
The fire spread to the home and up into the attic.
A girl who was inside the home at the time was able to get out safely.
Embers from the fire leaped across the road and ignited dry grass nearby.
The home is a total loss and was fully extinguished at around 6:11 p.m.
Fire investigators found were several propane tanks and cooking items behind the home.