Reporting Derek Shore
SUISUN CITY (CBS13) — The family of a 5-year-old girl who died after being found in her mother’s trunk says the girl should have been with them instead.
A grandmother in mourning, Martha Garcia is still coming to terms with the brutal death of 5-year-old Tatiana Garcia, allegedly killed at the hands of the girl’s mother, Aquelin Talamantes.
“I feel devastated. I feel very bad,” she said. “We don’t deserve what she did, because she’s making us suffer.”
Martha explains that little Tatiana and her mother lived at Garcia’s Suisun City home for nearly three years.
“When she was here, she was fine.”
But she says when Talamantes and her son broke up, she moved out and started a bitter custody battle, documented in court papers obtained by CBS13. Talamantes would keep the children, and file a restraining order against the children’s father.
“We didn’t know anything about her or the kids,” said Martha Garcia.
Until police delivered the tragic events of Thursday.
Tatiana’s aunt, Claudia Garcia, says there were signs of depression, but they never thought this would happen.
“It was shocking, until this day I can’t believe it,” she said.
On the day of Tatiana’s death, Talamantes approached a Davis Police officer asking strange questions. When others arrived, it was determined the children were fine to stay in the home.
“The police should have taken the kids, but they left them,” said Martha Garcia.
She has her own wishes for the woman she once considered a daughter.
“I hope she gets life in prison,” Martha Garcia said. “That’s all I ask, is that they keep her locked up forever.”
- Davis Mother Accused Of Killing Daughter Pleads Not Guilty
- Coroner Releases Identity Of Girl Who Died After Being Found In Trunk Of Mother’s Car
- Davis Police Visited Home Of Mother Accused Of Killing Daughter Earlier That Day
- Davis Woman Accused Of Killing Daughter Diagnosed With Schizophrenia, Says Friend
- Sacramento Mother Accused Of Murder After 5-Year-Old Girl Found In Trunk
- Top 10 September Stories on CBSSacramento.com