Yreka-Area Teen Killed In Crash Off I-5 In Yolo County
Don't Miss This
- Lawyer Allegedly Caught During Sexual Encounter With Jailed Inmate Fires Back
- Man Allegedly Sets Himself And Wife On Fire In Stockton
- Davis Teen Gets 52 Years To Life In Brutal Slaying Of Elderly Couple In Their Beds
- Caltrans May Pick Up The Tab For Your Car’s Pothole Damage
- Folsom District’s Response To Seventh-Grader’s Suicide Drawing Heavy Scrutiny
YOLO COUNTY (CBS13) – A teenager from the Yreka area was killed in a rollover crash in Yolo County on Thursday morning.
The accident happened off of Interstate 5 and County Road 118 at around 5 a.m. Thursday. The vehicle left the freeway and rolled down an embankment, throwing the 13-year-old boy from the vehicle, says CHP Sgt. Andy Hill. The teen’s 18-year-old cousin was driving the vehicle and may have dozed off.
The boy’s father was also inside the car. All three passengers were wearing seat belts; however, the boy was lying across the backseat of the car and was only wearing the lap portion of his seat belt.
“The shoulder harness was tucked behind him. Unfortunately when there’s a rollover collision like that, there are different forces than there are in the forwards and backwards in a typical rear-end collision where a lap belt does what it is intended to do, which is keep you from flying forward,” said Sgt. Hill.
The driver told officers that he had been feeling drowsy.
The family was driving a rental car from the Yreka area and had been traveling all night.
Officers have not released the identity of the teen.
Traffic in the area is not being affected by the crash.