Yreka-Area Teen Killed In Crash Off I-5 In Yolo County
Don't Miss This
- Stockton School District Possibly Selling $2 Million In Unused School Buses
- Strong, This New Member Of Stockton Schools Police Force Is
- After Bed Bug Complaints, Lodi Theater Closed Until Thursday To Eliminate ‘Insect’ Problem
- Alleged Bed Bug Infestation Temporarily Shutters Lodi Movie Theater
- Emerging Solar Plants Are Igniting Birds Mid-Air
Get Breaking News First
YOLO COUNTY (CBS13) – A teenager from the Yreka area was killed in a rollover crash in Yolo County on Thursday morning.
The accident happened off of Interstate 5 and County Road 118 at around 5 a.m. Thursday. The vehicle left the freeway and rolled down an embankment, throwing the 13-year-old boy from the vehicle, says CHP Sgt. Andy Hill. The teen’s 18-year-old cousin was driving the vehicle and may have dozed off.
The boy’s father was also inside the car. All three passengers were wearing seat belts; however, the boy was lying across the backseat of the car and was only wearing the lap portion of his seat belt.
“The shoulder harness was tucked behind him. Unfortunately when there’s a rollover collision like that, there are different forces than there are in the forwards and backwards in a typical rear-end collision where a lap belt does what it is intended to do, which is keep you from flying forward,” said Sgt. Hill.
The driver told officers that he had been feeling drowsy.
The family was driving a rental car from the Yreka area and had been traveling all night.
Officers have not released the identity of the teen.
Traffic in the area is not being affected by the crash.