Yreka-Area Teen Killed In Crash Off I-5 In Yolo County
Don't Miss This
- ICE: Local Authorities Have Denied 8,800 Federal Immigration Hold Requests This Year
- Modesto Wants To Crack Down On Residents Parking Cars On Lawns
- Republican Lawmakers Call For Travel Ban From West Africa Amid Ebola Fears
- Taryn Manning Of ‘Orange Is the New Black’ To Headline Grave Digger’s Ball
- Is Former Sacramento Real-Estate Mogul Once Accused Of Secret Recording At It Again?
Get Breaking News First
YOLO COUNTY (CBS13) – A teenager from the Yreka area was killed in a rollover crash in Yolo County on Thursday morning.
The accident happened off of Interstate 5 and County Road 118 at around 5 a.m. Thursday. The vehicle left the freeway and rolled down an embankment, throwing the 13-year-old boy from the vehicle, says CHP Sgt. Andy Hill. The teen’s 18-year-old cousin was driving the vehicle and may have dozed off.
The boy’s father was also inside the car. All three passengers were wearing seat belts; however, the boy was lying across the backseat of the car and was only wearing the lap portion of his seat belt.
“The shoulder harness was tucked behind him. Unfortunately when there’s a rollover collision like that, there are different forces than there are in the forwards and backwards in a typical rear-end collision where a lap belt does what it is intended to do, which is keep you from flying forward,” said Sgt. Hill.
The driver told officers that he had been feeling drowsy.
The family was driving a rental car from the Yreka area and had been traveling all night.
Officers have not released the identity of the teen.
Traffic in the area is not being affected by the crash.