Yreka-Area Teen Killed In Crash Off I-5 In Yolo County
Don't Miss This
- 49ers Fan Who Bought Game Ticket Online Receives Pricey Parking Pass
- Man Faces Jail Time Or $4,000 Fine For Not Watering Lawn
- Thieves Ransack Rio Linda Airman’s Home While He Was Deployed Overseas
- Fresno Man Who Killed Co-Worker, Cut Out Heart, Released From Prison Over Governor’s Objection
- Jackson Teen Leading Rally Against Washington Redskins’ Name At San Francisco 49ers Game
YOLO COUNTY (CBS13) – A teenager from the Yreka area was killed in a rollover crash in Yolo County on Thursday morning.
The accident happened off of Interstate 5 and County Road 118 at around 5 a.m. Thursday. The vehicle left the freeway and rolled down an embankment, throwing the 13-year-old boy from the vehicle, says CHP Sgt. Andy Hill. The teen’s 18-year-old cousin was driving the vehicle and may have dozed off.
The boy’s father was also inside the car. All three passengers were wearing seat belts; however, the boy was lying across the backseat of the car and was only wearing the lap portion of his seat belt.
“The shoulder harness was tucked behind him. Unfortunately when there’s a rollover collision like that, there are different forces than there are in the forwards and backwards in a typical rear-end collision where a lap belt does what it is intended to do, which is keep you from flying forward,” said Sgt. Hill.
The driver told officers that he had been feeling drowsy.
The family was driving a rental car from the Yreka area and had been traveling all night.
Officers have not released the identity of the teen.
Traffic in the area is not being affected by the crash.