Lodi Nurses Raced To Scene Of Deadly Six-Car Crash That Killed Miranda Family
Don't Miss This
- ICE: Local Authorities Have Denied 8,800 Federal Immigration Hold Requests This Year
- Modesto Wants To Crack Down On Residents Parking Cars On Lawns
- Republican Lawmakers Call For Travel Ban From West Africa Amid Ebola Fears
- Taryn Manning Of ‘Orange Is the New Black’ To Headline Grave Digger’s Ball
- Is Former Sacramento Real-Estate Mogul Once Accused Of Secret Recording At It Again?
Get Breaking News First
LODI (CBS13) — Nurses from a nearby medical office thought the deadly six-car crash that killed six members of a Lodi family was an explosion.
“I just came out of a patient’s room, and heard what sounded like an explosion,” said nurse practitioner Michelle Martin. “It rocked our building.”
The crash that killed six members of the Miranda family happened just feet away from the hospital’s urgent care center, sending Martin and registered nurse Yolanda Watt to the scene.
“It wasn’t even a thought,” Martin said. “We heard it and Yolanda and I took off at the same time.”
The two began to help the children who were ejected from the Miranda family pickup truck.
“I turned and saw a little girl laying in the street, in the gutter,” Watt said. “I went over and tried to help her. She had bleeding from the head as well. I was trying to do CPR on her.”
As more rescuers arrived, Viviana Miranda, who was seven months pregnant, was rushed to the Lodi Memorial emergency room on the same block. A trauma team tried to save her and her unborn baby, but it was too late.
“We hoped for a better outcome,” said ER nurse Allie Jacinto-Baumbach, “but unfortunately the outcome doesn’t always match the efforts everyone puts in.”
In addition to the expectant mother and her unborn child, her husband Luis and the couple’s three children died.
“It hits you, especially if you have children or family,” Watt said.
- Second-Degree Murder Charges Possible In Lodi Crash That Killed 6
- Hundreds Gather To Remember Family Killed In Lodi Crash, Pray For Hospitalized Boy
- Lodi School Honors Victims Of Deadly Crash
- Lodi In Mourning After Six-Car Accident Kills Nearly Entire Family
- Woman To Rushed To Help Lodi Crash Victims Talks To CBS13
- Sole Survivor Of Lodi Family Killed In Crash Recovering As Investigation Into Accident Slows