Sacramento Will Host 2014 USA Track And Field Championships
Don't Miss This
- Stockton School District Possibly Selling $2 Million In Unused School Buses
- Strong, This New Member Of Stockton Schools Police Force Is
- After Bed Bug Complaints, Lodi Theater Closed Until Thursday To Eliminate ‘Insect’ Problem
- Alleged Bed Bug Infestation Temporarily Shutters Lodi Movie Theater
- Emerging Solar Plants Are Igniting Birds Mid-Air
Get Breaking News First
SACRAMENTO (CBS13) — The USA Track and Field Championships will be coming to Sacramento in 2014, CBS13 has confirmed.
The official announcement will be made at Sacramento State on Tuesday, and will be a major win for a city that’s had to fight to get championship events in town.
The university will be making improvements to the field prior to the five-day event next year, setting the stage to make Sacramento a top destination for future track and field events.
“It might inspire people to become more active in track and field events,” said runner Lisa Martini.
The last major track and field event the city hosted was the 2011 World Masters Track Championships.
It’s been hard times finding major sporting events in the area. The arena formerly known as Sleep Train last hosted the NCAA men’s basketball tournament in 2007. A bid to bring the tournament back to California’s capital was rejected for both 2014 and 2015.
In 2006, an LPGA golf tournament moved from Auburn to the Bay Area.