‘Trimmigrants’ Flocking To Nevada County For Marijuana Harvest Jobs
Don't Miss This
- ICE: Local Authorities Have Denied 8,800 Federal Immigration Hold Requests This Year
- Modesto Wants To Crack Down On Residents Parking Cars On Lawns
- Republican Lawmakers Call For Travel Ban From West Africa Amid Ebola Fears
- Taryn Manning Of ‘Orange Is the New Black’ To Headline Grave Digger’s Ball
- Is Former Sacramento Real-Estate Mogul Once Accused Of Secret Recording At It Again?
Get Breaking News First
NEVADA CITY (CBS13) — A weed windfall has people flocking to Nevada County, searching for marijuana harvest jobs.
The marijuana harvest season is in full force, and more people are on the streets with more money to spend, but some are saying those profits aren’t enough.
Eldryn Tree from Alaska made sure to stop in Nevada City where he says he’ll find friends to jam with, but more importantly a job that pays.
Tree works as a trimmer to help clean and ready the marijuana harvest. He’s one of dozens of self-name “trimmigrants” coming to work on both legal and illegal pot farms in the county for cash.
Corey Bristow owns a coffee shop in Nevada City and says he sees a noticeable boost in sales when trimmers come looking for work.
“We have the holiday season, we have a bike race that happens in summer, and we have the fall harvest season,” he said. “Every season they come, and then they go when it gets cold.”
Some residents don’t want people like Tree around though, putting up signs accusing people like him of taking jobs from locals who need them.
Nevada County Supervisor Nate Beason says pumped-up profits at bars and restaurants are good, but the county shouldn’t just be known for pot production.
“If we want to recruit a high-tech company, they may be given pause, because they know there is a lot of marijuana up here,” Beason said, “and if they have young families working for them, it is kinda hard to get them to relocate.”
Bristow says he’ll continue to welcome workers, as long as they keep spending money and don’t cause any problems.
- Nevada County Deputies Ditch Shredded Weed Along Hiking Trails
- Medical Marijuana Overgrows Tough To Enforce In Nevada County
- Chainsaw Massacre Averted At Nevada County Bar When Man’s Weapon Stalls
- Search For Missing San Jose Miner Continues In Nevada County Hills
- Sacramento County Deputy Accused Of Sexually Assaulting Teen Formally Charged
- Miner Reported Missing In Nevada County
- Missing San Jose Miner’s Body Identified In Nevada County
- Investigators: Illegal Items Found In Home Of Sacramento Deputy Accused Of Molestation
- Male Body Found In Search Vicinity Of Missing San Jose Miner