Feds Decline Comment On DA’s Rim Fire Assertion
Don't Miss This
- CHP Officers, Teacher Help Santa Deliver Presents To Boy Who Didn’t Get Visit Last Year
- Lawyer Allegedly Caught During Sexual Encounter With Jailed Inmate Fires Back
- Man Allegedly Sets Himself And Wife On Fire In Stockton
- Davis Teen Gets 52 Years To Life In Brutal Slaying Of Elderly Couple In Their Beds
- Caltrans May Pick Up The Tab For Your Car’s Pothole Damage
SONORA, Calif. (AP) — Federal prosecutors have declined to address a district attorney’s claim that they intend to prosecute the hunter who allegedly started the Rim Fire that raged through Yosemite National Park and the Sierra Foothills.
Tuolumne County District Attorney Michael Knowles said in a statement on Thursday that federal prosecutors have privately declared their intention to prosecute the hunter. The hunter has not been identified.
The statement went on to say that the people of Tuolumne County and county prosecutors were awaiting “just conclusion” in the federal system.
Mary Wenger, a spokeswoman for the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Sacramento, said on Friday she could neither confirm nor deny Knowles’s assertion.
The Rim Fire began on Aug. 17 and burned 400 square miles.
State officials have estimated damages exceeded $54 million.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Federal Lawmakers Battling Over Bill Changing How States Pay Firefighting Costs
- Rim Fire Logging Raises Concerns Over Spotted Owl Population
- California Environmentalists Decry Feds’ Rim Fire Tree Plan
- Forest Service To Release Rim Fire Recovery Plan
- Rim Fire Suspect Pleads Not Guilty To Setting Fire In Stanislaus National Forest