Multiple People Injuried In Explosion And FIre At Bay Area Jail
Don't Miss This
- Women Respond To Ice Bucket Challenge By Raising Money For California Town With Dry Wells
- Stockton Man Pleads For Return Of Dog Stolen From His Car
- Sketch Released Of Suspect Wanted For 2 Stabbings Near Downtown Sacramento
- Roseville Woman Run Over By Own SUV, Dies
- U-Haul Crashes Into Citrus Heights Home, Hitting Baby’s Room
Get Breaking News First
ALAMEDA, Calif. (AP) — Fire officials say 11 people were injured in a kitchen fire at a San Francisco Bay Area jail.
Alameda County Fire spokeswoman Aisha Knowles says an oven at the Santa Rita Jail caught fire and then exploded around 11:40 a.m. Tuesday.
Four people were taken to hospitals, including one with critical injuries. The other seven were treated at the jail infirmary with what appeared to be minor injuries.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
Knowles said she was headed to the jail and didn’t immediately have additional information.
According to the jail’s website, it holds about 4,000 inmates in 18 housing units.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.