ALAMEDA, Calif. (AP) – Fire officials say 11 people were injured, one critically, when an oven door exploded in a kitchen at a San Francisco Bay Area jail.
Alameda County Fire spokeswoman Aisha Knowles says the oven door blew off at the Santa Rita Jail around 11:40 a.m. Tuesday while inmates were baking.
Four inmates were taken to hospitals, including one with critical injuries. A deputy was among the other seven who were injured. They were treated at the jail with what appeared to be minor injuries.
Knowles says investigators will look into the possibility of a natural gas leak or arson.
According to the jail’s website, it holds about 4,000 inmates in 18 housing units.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.
- Grant High Student Eyes Law Enforcement Career To Help Del Paso Heights
- Call Kurtis: Someone Opened A Cellphone Account In My Name
- Apps Help People Avoid Diseases, But Are They Accurate?
- Roseville Teacher Arrested In Decades-Old Child Molestation Cases
- CHP: Sacramento Man Totals Patrol Vehicle In Woodland Crash