ALAMEDA, Calif. (AP) – Fire officials say 11 people were injured, one critically, when an oven door exploded in a kitchen at a San Francisco Bay Area jail.
Alameda County Fire spokeswoman Aisha Knowles says the oven door blew off at the Santa Rita Jail around 11:40 a.m. Tuesday while inmates were baking.
Four inmates were taken to hospitals, including one with critical injuries. A deputy was among the other seven who were injured. They were treated at the jail with what appeared to be minor injuries.
Knowles says investigators will look into the possibility of a natural gas leak or arson.
According to the jail’s website, it holds about 4,000 inmates in 18 housing units.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.
- U.S.A. Men’s Basketball Routs Argentina 111-74
- Autistic Man who was Targeted of Police Bullet Suffering From Emotional Distress
- Stockton Police Suprise Kids With Sports Equipment
- Call Kurtis: A Facebook Love Story That Turned Into A Sweetheart Scam
- Regional Transit Reshaping Operations, Image For Golden 1 Center Opening