MODESTO (CBS13) — A single father is using Craigslist to help save Christmas for his two young daughters after the family’s rental home was destroyed in a fire.

Four-year-old Khloe and her sister Katelyn won’t have any presents under the tree this Christmas.

“My house caught on fire.”

A space heater sparked a blaze that gutted the family’s rental home, leaving them homeless.

“It burned all of our belongings and all the toys,” said Mike Jackson. “Pretty much 80 percent of whatever we had there.”

For now, the Red Cross has placed Jackson and his two young daughters in the motel. With his bank account running dry, Jackson can’t afford to buy his daughters Christmas gifts.

“It’s hard for me to ask, but that’s what we need—donations to help out my family, my two daughters,” Jackson said.

The family’s bedrooms and playrooms were all damaged by smoke and water.

Amid the tragedy, a bag of Halloween costumes and Khloe’s favorite book were saved from the flames.

The homeowner decided it would cost too much to repair the damaged farm house the family rented for six years.

For now, it looks like they’ll be spending Christmas morning in the motel.

“I don’t let them see it too much, but they know,” Jackson said. “Like she said earlier, my heart is broke and she knows.”

This homeless family is humbly asking the community to open up their hearts this holiday season.

“It would bring a smile to their face, and just to see that is a blessing,” he said.

If you would like to help, send an email to and we will put you in contact with the Jackson family.



Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s